Panic attacks! Not fun. If you have ever had a panic attack, you know they are awful.
A beautiful girlfriend called me the day after she experienced a heart pounding, profusely sweating, breath constricting, full-on panic attack. She had a couple before in the past, but this time her husband was there with her to witness it. He was startled and scared, to say the least.
Now let me just say that this girlfriend of mine is a pulled together chick. She is well educated, physically fit, kind, a great mom of three, and intelligent. She is, however, experiencing scar tissue complications from a previous procedure and the pain associated with that. Anxiety knows no boundaries and will show up in MANY people’s lives, especially women’s.
Please do not suffer with anxiety. I had trouble with it for years! Good news! Energy techniques help deal with these scary episodes.
Even though it was twelve hours after the panic attack, my friend was still feeling shaky, anxious, and at her wits end. The following is one exercise I did with her that you could do for yourself when you feel the onset of one of these horrible attacks:
Wayne Cook posture was adapted by Donna Eden.
- Sit. Cross your left leg (at a 45 degree angle) over your right knee.
- Hold your right hand over your left ankle.
- Cross your left arm over and grab the bottom of your left foot and toes.
- Breathe in through your nose while sitting up straight and lifting your left leg about one inch. Exhale through your mouth. Relax and lower your leg. Do this six times.
- Cross your right leg over your left knee.
- Hold your left hand over your right ankle.
- Cross your right arm over and grab the bottom of your right foot and toes.
- Breathe in through your nose while sitting up straight and lifting your right leg about one inch. Exhale through your mouth. Relax and lower your leg. Do this six times.
- Put your finger tips together and form a steeple. Place your thumbs lightly on your third eye (in between your eyebrows and a half inch up) and take three breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Relax.
I received a text and an E-mail from my friend after we did this energy work together. With her permission, here they are:
“Have to tell you. Wayne Cook saved me today. Thank you so much.”
“Later in the afternoon, I was starting to feel the chest constriction, racing pulse and (for lack of a better word) paralysis that seems to lead me straight to panic. I just dropped everything and did the posture twice (figured it couldn’t hurt!). It took that scary edge off and allowed me to calm my body enough to breathe and begin to sort things out. I believe that it truly helped me. I will be using it daily!”
Be well and release that anxiety from your body,